Table of Contents
I’ve done quite a few designer product reviews over the past few years, and they are always a huge hit. So today, I’m reviewing the famous Max Mara teddy coat that’s been a celebrity favorite for years. You’ve probably seen your favorite celebs or the women on street-style accounts you follow wearing this coat…and you may be wondering, “Is it worth the money”?? I received it as a Christmas gift from my husband last year so I’m breaking it all down for you below…
My Honest Review of The Mach & Mach Crystal Heels
My Honest Review of Golden Goose Sneakers
My Honest Review of Valentino Sandals
Honest Review of Veja Sneakers
My Honest Review of the Balmain Blazer
My Honest Review of the Burberry Trench Coat
5 Rare Luxury Designer Dupes You NEED: Look Expensive On A Budget With These Pieces
Max Mara Teddy Bear Icon Coat
First, let’s talk a little more about this Max Mara coat…it actually just celebrated its 10-year anniversary! It was designed in 2013 and inspired by an archived Max Mara garment from the 80’s. We’ve been talking about how the volume, glamour, and over-the-top styles of the 80s are on-trend for a few years now and it’s safe to say that esthetic is here to stay. You’ve probably seen this coat worn by celebrities like Hailey Bieber, Kim Kardashian, Celine Dion, Katie Holmes, Karlie Kloss, and SO many more.
The version I’m wearing is called the “Teddy Bear Icon Coat” and it comes in multiple colors including Camel, White, Sand, Pink, Sage Green, Black, and Lilac. It’s made of a wool and alpaca fabric combined with a silk base that’s stylish and functional (it’s very warm). This coat is the most popular and iconic, but there is also an alpaca and cashmere option if you can’t wear wool. It comes in the colors Sand and Tobacco.
Keep scrolling to read about the pros and cons of this coat, if I think it’s really worth the investment, and some look-a-likes for less.
Max Mara Teddy Bear Icon Coat Pros
First, let’s talk about the pros of this gorgeous Max Mara teddy coat…
- Weight & Warmth – This coat is ridiculously lightweight…when I put it on, I couldn’t even believe how light it was. It’s lighter than any other faux fur or teddy coat that I have. If you own a Herno puffer coat and know how lightweight those are, it’s similar to the weight of those puffers but it’s SO warm. I recently traveled in this coat, and it was like wearing the snuggliest, warmest blanket on the plane. For the first time ever, I was not freezing on the plane.
- Fabric & Quality – I’ve already mentioned the fabric but it’s worth reiterating that it’s incredibly soft, warm, and super high-quality. This coat is also SO well made you’ll have it for years and years and years, which should be a given considering the price but sometimes you never know!
- Style – This coat really brings on the drama and makes a statement! You can add a faux fur hat and some wedge booties like I did to really pile on the glam. But you can also throw this over a super casual outfit to add some extra oomph. That’s the beauty of this piece…it’s so versatile and easy to style with everything. But it’s not a coat for those who want to blend in with the crowd. It’s very on-trend right now but considering it’s a celebrity favorite and just celebrated 10 years…it’s really not that trendy and will be a piece you wear forever.
Max Mara Teddy Bear Icon Coat Cons
- Volume – I was taken aback by how voluminous this coat is. It’s so oversized that putting your handbag on crossbody-style feels clunky and kind of difficult. Admittedly, I’m used to streamlined coats and jackets to slim and elongate. This is definitely WAY more oversized than I’m used to, but this style and fit is on-trend and just takes some getting used to. It’s sort of like transitioning from skinny jeans to baggy jeans…there was some hesitation at first but now I love baggy jeans! I’m wearing an XS.
- Price – It’s REALLY expensive. This was my Christmas gift and I intentionally selected something that I struggled to buy for myself because of the price. It’s a LOT. But remember to think about cost per wear… I live in a snowy mountain town, so I’ll likely wear mine all winter, probably 3 times a week.
The Verdict: Is The Coat REALLY Worth The Money???
Simply put, I love this coat and think it’s extremely well-made, high-quality, and stylish. I would recommend this coat 1) if you love the look and the oversized style, 2) if you live in a cold climate, and/or 3) if you always run cold like me. It’s definitely a splurge and I think you CAN get this look for a LOT less, which is why I’m sharing some look-a-likes for less lower down in this post. I decided it was worth it because I already own so many beautiful coats and jackets, and this feels like a glam and warm addition to my wardrobe. When you live in a cold climate, winter style is all about outerwear!
Max Mara Teddy Coat Look-A-Likes
A quick note about these look-a-likes is that I can’t attest to their quality, warmth, or comfort because I have not tried them personally. But these options will give you the glamorous look of the Max Mara Teddy Bear Icon Coat for less. Don’t forget to look for it on consignment sites like The RealReal and Vestiarie Collective to see if you can snag one for less too!
If you haven’t already, be sure to subscribe to our newsletter for exclusive content and style resources. You get access to some incredible style resources like wardrobe basics checklists, closet organizing and editing tips, and SO much more!